A Brief History of Newbald School
by Dr John Barrett, ex School Governor.
Photograph taken in 1958
The present school, built by East Riding Council, was formally opened on February 14th 1914, the earlier school by the Green had become grossly overcrowded. As was usual at the time, the new school had separate entrances for boys and girls, one of which can still be seen at the rear today. The children were also separated by a fence in the front playground.
Within six months of opening, Britain was at war, and in the following year, June 2015, the school received evacuee children from Hull following a Zeppelin raid. Newbald also received evacuee children from Hull in 1939, and again in 1941.
In spite of various additions, to the side and rear, the appearance of the front of the school has remained largely unchanged, unlike its position relative to the village. Today the school is physically part of the village, but in 1914 it stood well apart, surrounded by open fields and just a couple of cottages.
From 1952 the main feeder school has been Market Weighton, leaving Newbald as the primary school it is today. Many local residents may remember the extensive changes made in 1980, when the children used the village hall for PE. The council laid a path along Townside Road for the children to walk to the hall. 1984 saw the demolition of the old outside lavatories which were replaced by internal ones. In 1985 the original school bell, that had lain silent for many years, was repaired and still continues to summon children in today.
The council purchased adjacent land at the rear of the school in 1989 to create the current school field. More recent changes, the new entrance and office in 2000, new computer room, 2003, new library and staff room, 2006, new school hall, 2008, extensions to class 1 and 2, 2014 and finally, most recently in 2016, class 3 and 4 were extended to leave the school as you see it today.